Carris Transport Museum (Museu Carris)
Carris (Companhia Carris de Ferro de Lisboa) was founded in 1872 and gave Lisbon a public transport network using horse drawn trams (Americanos). On the 17th of November 1873, the first line of "Americanos" was inaugurated between 'Santa Apolónia' and 'Santos'. In 1901 Lisbon's first electric trams started operations. In 1940, to bolster transport for visitors to The Exhibition of the Portuguese World, which took place in 'Belém', Carris acquired its first six buses. On the 9th of April 1944, the bus service was officially opened. In recent decades, there were significant changes in the tram fleet, due to traffic conditions in addition to economic and social viability. Leading to a gradual decrease in the number of vehicles and routes. In the meantime, the bus fleet was renewed to suit the demand and specific requirements of the routes.
After the 1950s and 1960s, following considerable cuts in the Tram Network, new ideas for its improvement were made. Innovations included new technologies (for higher commercial speed), increase in capacity and improved operational conditions (bus lanes and specific traffic signs). Today the company operates bus, elevator, tram and funicular services across Lisbon. Its distinctive livery has become an icon of the city, a huge influence to us when we designed our logo.