Rossio Square (Praça Dom Pedro IV)
Found at the northern end of the grid of streets of the Pombaline grid of streets of the Baixa district the Praça Dom Pedro IV or as it's colloquially known, Rossio. It is Lisbon's oldest square and is still the beating heart of old Lisbon. Bordered by cafés and shops, its centrepiece is a 23-metre high column capped by Pedro himself. Here in this large square, you'll find two 19th century french fountains. Rossio is a popular place for photographs and bathing pigeons alike. On the Northside of the square can be found the impressive neoclassical Teatro Nacional Dona Maria II (National Theatre), built between 1842 and 1846. It replaces the 15th-century Estaus Palace which was infamous as the seat of the Inquisition.
In the Northwest corner of the square is the Rossio train station, a Neo-Manueline masterpiece designed by José Luís Monteiro in 1887. Its main entrance is dominated by two decretive horseshoe portals and the building is topped by a turreted clock. Reopened in 2008 after renovations to the tunnels and now serves the Azambuja/Lisboa/Sintra line, it is also a handy place to buy travel cards and passes.